International Mandates for Gender and Development
- United Nation Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimation Against Women (UN CEDAW) – adopted by UN in 1979 and took effect on September 4, 1981.
- International Bill of Rights of Women – promotes equality in all fields; affirmative action for women and protection of women from violence.
- Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA)1995 – calls for action on 12 areas of concern aflecting women and girl-children.
- Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) – are eight international development goals that all 192 member states of UN and at least 23 international organizations adopted during the 2000 UN Millenium Summit; aim to eliminate extreme poverty by 2015.
National Mandates for Gender Mainstreaming
- Sec. 14, Art. 11, 1987 Philippine Constitution – The state recognizes the role of women in nation building and shall ensure the fundamental equality before the law of women and men.The Philippine being a member of the United Nations and a signatory to the Beijing Platform for Action, enacted several legislations to mainstream gender perspective into all government policies and programs. Philippine policies for GAD are the following:
- Republic Act No. 7192 (1992) Women in Development and Nation Building Act – promotes the integration of women as full equal partners of men in development and nation Building.
- All government departments shall ensure that women benefit equally and participate directly in the devlopment programs and projects.
- General Appropriations Act (GAA) from 1995 to present – directs government agencies to formulate a GAD plan, the cost of which shall not be less than 5% of their yearly budget.
- Republic Act No. 9710 (14 August 2009) Magna Carta of Women – The local adaptation of the UN CEDAW
- GAD Programs addressing gender issues and concerns shall be designed and implemented based on the mandate of National Government Agencies and Local Government Units (Section 36.a).
- Department of Budget and Management (DBM), National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) and Philippine Commission on Women (PCW) Joint Circular 2012 – 1: The Guidelines in Preparing GAD Plan and Budget and GAD Accomplishment Report to implement the Magna Carta of Women (MCW).
Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET) Efforts for Gender Mainstreaming
- The Senate Electoral Tribunal commenced its Gender and Development (GAD) program on August 12, 2009 when CSC conducted the Gender Mainstreaming and GAD Planning Workshop.
- On 17 of September 2010, SET created its Gender and Development Focal Point and Gender Advocacy Volunteers under Administrative Order No. 08, Series of 2010.
- On 12 April 2013, SET established the Policy on Gender and Development Program under Administrative Order No. 04, Series of 2013.
- On 03 October 2014, SET reconstituted its Gender and Development Focal Point System under Administrative Order No. 15, Series of 2014.
Composition of the GAD Focal Point System
- Chairperson of the Tribunal
- GAD Executive Committee
- GAD Technical Working Group
- GAD Secretariat
- Conduct of Overview on Gender and Development (GAD) Mainstreaming and GAD Planning Workshop on August 12, 2009, with Dir. Noreen G. Gragasin of CSC Personnel Management Development as Resource Person and 8 Secretariat Personnel as participants.
- Submission of SET GAD Annual Accomplishment Report (SET-GAD AR) for FY 2009 and SET GAD Annual Plan and Budget (SET-GPB) for FY 2011 to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) on June 10, 2010 and to the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW) on September 8, 2010.
- Conduct of Gender Sensitivity Seminar
1st Batch – June 18, 2010 with 33 participants
2nd Batch – July 23, 2010 with 33 participants
- Issuance of SET Administrative Order (AO) No.8, s. 2010 on September 7, 2010 creating the GAD Focal Point System (GFPS) and Gender Advocacy Volunteers (GAV).
- Conduct of GAD Planning Workshop on February 16 and 17, 2011 at Montevista Villas, Clarkfield, Pampanga, with GFPS, GAV and 2 Administrative Staff.
- Submission of SET FY 2010 GAR and SET FY 2012 GPB to PCW on February 24, 2011.
- Participation in the Consultative Meeting attended by PCW Technical Staff, SET GFPS and GAV on March 18, 2011
- Submission of enhanced SET FY 2010 GAD AR and SET FY 2012 GPB to PCW on March 24, 2011.
- Conduct of Orientation on VAWC and Magna Carta of Women on June 22, 2011 attended by 86 participants with Atty. Mylen B. Esquivel, Executive Director of the Child Justice League, as Resource Person.
- Conduct of the Seminar-Workshop on Gender Analysis, GAD Planning and Budgeting and Gender Mainstreaming, attended by GFPS and GAV with Prof. Thelma B. Magcuro, from the College of Social Work and Community Development in U.P. Diliman, as Resource Person on January 9-12, 2012.
- Conduct of GAD Planning Workshop on February 15 and 16, 2012 at Montevista Villas, Clarkfield, Pampanga, with GFPS, GAV and 2 Administrative Staff.
- Conduct of Part 1 of the GAD Seminar-Workshop on Value Re-Orientation/ Value Re-Direction: SET Employees vis-à-vis Their Families, Work and Community on March 28, 2012. Attended by 68 SET Personnel with Prof. Thelma B. Magcuro as Resource Person.
- Submission of SET FY 2011 GAR and SET FY 2013 GPB to PCW on March 7, 2012.
- Submission of enhanced SET FY 2013 GPB to PCW on April 19, 2012
- Conduct of the Part II of the GAD Seminar-Workshop on Value Re-Orientation/Attitudinal Re-Direction: Ehem!Aha! Self-Check Seminar for Combating Corruption with Ms. Josephine D. Mojica and Ms. Ma.Victoria M. Roberto both from the Office of the Ombudsman; and Rev. Fr. Michael La Guardia, SDB as Resource Persons.
- 1st Batch on September 19-20, 2012 (34 SET Employees)
- 2nd Batch on September 26-27, 2012 (34 SET Employees)
- Conduct of GAD Gender Audit with Ms. Myrna V. Magbitang as Resource Person
- Part I – Training on the Conduct of Audit from Nov. 20 to 26, 2012
- Part II – Data Gathering and Analysis from Nov. 26, 2012 to December 20.
- Part III – Presentation of Gender Audit Report on January 14, 2013
- Conduct of Lecture/ Demonstration on Urban Farming and Ecowaste Management on January 31, 2013. Attended by 67 SET Employees with the Staff of Quezon City Vice-Mayor Joy Belmonte as Resource Persons.
- Conduct of the GAD Activities for the Women’s Day Celebration on February 26, 2013. (Field Trip, Film Showing and Kids Workshop)
- Issuance of SET (AO) No. 04, s. 2013 – Policy on Gender and Development Program on April 12, 2013.
- Submission of enhanced SET FY 2014 GPB to PCW on April 22, 2013.
- Conduct of the GAD Peer Facilitators Training on June 17 -20, 2013, attended by the GFPS, GAV and 13 selected SET personnel with Dr. Oani-Lascano and Mr. Rustum A. Salvana, both from the Office of Counseling and Guidance of the University of the Philippines Diliman, as Resource Persons.
- Conduct of GAD Wealth Management Workshop on July 31, 2013. Attended by 64 Secretariat personnel with Ms. Rose Fres Fausto as Resource Person and other invited representatives of various Investment Companies.
- Set up of GAD Center (Mini-Library) on September 26, 2013.
- Participation of the GFPS to the World Conference in Education, Philippine and Japan Joint Session on September 3-8, 2013.
- Conduct of Gender Impact Assessment (GIA) from October 22 to November 11, 2013 using Gender Mainstreaming Evaluation Framework (GMEF) and Harmonized Gender and Development Guidelines (HGDG).
- Conduct of Planning and Budgeting Workshop for FY 2015 GPB on November 12-14, 2013 with GFPS, GAV and 2 Administrative Staff.
- Submission of SET FY 2013 GAR and SET FY 2015 GPB to PCW on January 7, 2014.
- Submission of enhanced SET FY 2013 GAR and SET FY 2015 GPB to PCW on January 30, 2014.
- Conduct of Gender Analysis++ Workshop (GA+ Overview on GWEF and GMEF + Basic Orientation on HGDG) on February 12-13, 2014 participated in by GFPS and GAV with Ms. Gichelle Cruz as Resource person and 1 Documenter.
- Participation in the International Women’s Day Celebration at Abra with the theme “Timpuyog Dagiti Inna” (Unity Among Mothers) on March 7-9, 2014 with 44 SET personnel. (1st Quarter GST++)
- Conduct of 2nd Quarter GST++ (Validation of Gender Mapping Results) on June 30, 2014 participated in by GFPS, GAV and the members of the Management Committee (MANCOM). (15 Participants)
- Issuance of SET AO No. 15 – Reconstitution of GAD Focal Point System on October 3, 2014.
- Conduct of Planning and Budgeting Workshop for FY 2016 GPB on October 7-9, 2014 with GFPS, GAV and 2 Administrative Staff.
- Conduct of Survey on GAD Basic Concepts using a Baseline Questionnaire on October 21, 2014.
- Conduct of 3rd Quarter GST++ (Review of Women Laws/ Issuances, Basic GAD Concepts and Report on GA and GIA Results) on October 22, 2014 participated in by 59 SET personnel (30 Female, 29 Male) .
- Conduct of 4th Quarter GST++ (Work-Life Balance) on December 11, 2014 with Dr. Carolyn Sobritchea as Resource Person. Participated in by 57 SET personnel (31 Female, 26 Male).
- Creation of GAD Corner at SET Website on December 17.
Click here to view the Sex Disaggregated Data of Parties in Election Contests Filed Before the SET